The growth in data is happening across all industries. In The Global DataSphere report, IDC predicts the growth from 33 ZB (zettabytes) in 2018 to 175 ZB by 2025. Moreover, businesses are looking to centralize data management and delivery as well as to leverage data to control their businesses. The trends behind data growth are business service model change and companies digitalization.
Changes in business model and services have driven growth in the All-flash Array (AFA) storage market these days. Customers now expect content tailored in real-time interaction and no redundant time tolerance. Replacing an AFA system has almost become an inexorable trend, while customers become overwhelmed with tons of choices offered by various storage vendors.
How AFA system solve the problems? Let's see all aspects of how AFA bring benefits to help customers to follow the trends of modern business models.
A primary advantage of the all-flash array is consistently high performance. Predictable performance helps you to consolidate many workloads on systems without compromising performance. Let's take a look at the three basic measurements of performance.
- IOPS - Applications with databases frequently accessing generates random reads/writes and the performance of this behavior in storage measurement is IOPS. Given a more concrete idea: an SSD delivers 100 times of IOPS than an HDD.
- Latency - Applications like online transaction processing (OLAP) or e-commerce which provide real-time services to customers, they are extremely time-sensitive. The latency would cause a huge impact on the business.
- Throughput - Applications access data in large block sizes like the video is different from the above that are in smaller block sizes. Large block size is beneficial for large sequential read/write workloads and the measurement is throughput.
Data Protection & Security
As always, data needs to be managed and protected. Requirements include protection against failed devices; protection against intentional or accidental data corruption; and facilities for disaster recovery. Enterprise flash drives have impressive reliability. Unlike HDDs, flash drives have no spinning disks or moving parts, increasing their reliability.
Efficient Storage Management
Making an enterprise storage purchase decision, not only has to consider its speed but also IT management in order to lower the total cost of ownership.
Trends of SSD
The main reason (or myth) holds your back from replacing all-flash arrays is they often consider as more expensive than disk-drive systems. The impression comes from the price of SSD. Nowadays, things got different! SSD prices keep falling whereas the capacity is growing.
- Dropping Price
- Larger Capacity
The 5P Strategy
Customers today needs a standard guidelines for choosing the right AFA system from the market. The 5P Strategy of entry-level AFA procurement provides guidelines for users to distinguish the right storage system and get ready to face the future challenges behind the data growth. Let's see all aspects of how AFA bring benefits to help customers to follow the trends of modern business models. The 5P Strategy covers five different areas:
- Performance - A primary advantage of AFA is consistently high performance. The measurement including three factors: IOPS, Latency and Throughput. However, notice that a real AFA system is not a faster hybrid array, you need to take IOPS and Latency together for the measurement. Applications with databases frequently accessing generates random reads/writes and the latency over 1 ms will not only make bad user experience but also increase the possibility for data loss. Reaching 300K IOPS in 4K random write under 0.5 ms latency is a minimum.
- Protocol - In networking or data center for virtualized environments and mission-critical applications need higher bandwidth to support: 10 GbE network, Fibre Channel. 10 GbE is becoming popular and FC can deliver lower latency. The painless migration of entry-level AFA must provide both protocols.
- Persistence - Service unavailability for any mission-critical application is not acceptable. With Dual-controller architecture, a non-stop service is fulfilled. Any unexpected single controller failure won't cause the service stop since another controller takes over the service. The active-active design guarantees the performance while two controllers utilizing the same storage resource.
- Price - started from the minimum demanded capacity, the capacity can be expanded cost-effectively as the demand grows in the Entry-level AFA. Choosing the better capacity-price ratio Entry-level AFA in the market ensures that you will always get the capacity as much as possible with less cost and significantly increase the ROI on AFA.
- Position - Entry-level AFA is ideal for the small and medium business customer who requires data processing for database, virtualization environment, media production, and high-computing like AI and IoT. Even large-scale business can use entry-level AFA for growing service, and adopting to higher-level AFA after the business becomes matured and requires a higher-level device.
|The 5P Strategy||Essentials|
|Performance||More than 300K IOPS in 4K random write under 0.5 ms latency.|
|Protocol||Fibre Channel and iSCSI host interface support.|
|Persistence||Active-Active Dual-Controller architecture.|
|Price||MSRP sub. $20K with 10 TB capacity at minimum.|
|Position||Meet the high-performance of databases, virtualization, media editing, AI and IoT industries.|